Monday, May 13, 2013

ScreamFree Thoughts ~ "The quickest way for a parent to get a child’s attention is to sit down and look comfortable."

Looking forward to seeing, at least three of you, this Weds morning, May 15th, for our ScreamFree Parenting session 3. Any others, who want a tune-up, missed this session or just want to a taste of this powerful effective philosophy, please join us!!

So, this email tip is Perfect timing with mother's day being yesterday! Let's do our Best to take this 'putting our oxygen mask on first,' from principle 11, spirit into practice, in little ways and big ways. We each have to decide how that looks in our lives then how to implement, which can be Very challenging, and where most of us will need support:) As many of you know, we just returned from a whirlwind trip to DC, beginning with 8am Fri flight, and returning on Sun with a 7pm flight. I ended up sleeping/resting More during our wknd trip than I do on a normal wknd at home. I had a super bizzy week, and I overdid it going to bed late and rising early. Needless to say that it caught up with me by 1230am Fri, after our school Opera event and dinner, when I was finishing packing, my throat starting hurting and the runny nose was in full force and I had to get up by 5am. In the past, before all my parenting classes trainings, readings, teachings, I would have been embarrassed to admit that yes, I need rest, yes, I am not super woman / mommy. I do fall short, I do disappoint.....I can not do it ALL. So, how this looked for me during our trip is I took a nap Fri afternoon, after we got in, while everyone else went to the Naval yard. Then I was in bed with Christopher by 830pm on Fri, and slept almost 12 hrs, because I let the family go to the Smithsonian without me on Sat morning. Keep in mind, I grew up visiting DC on a yearly basis so I have been to most of the tourist spots. However, I still would have preferred to join in because I have not been to these places with Christopher nor Chris. But I knew, I needed to take care of me, if I was to recover....and I needed good old fashioned sleep. Who else is supposed to take care of me if I don't?? Obviously, we just have one child who is now 6 1/2 so I can take more breaks than I could have when he was smaller, and/or if we had more than one. But, still my struggle, my conflict, my battle was / is with myself, not anyone else at this point. How do I be more compassionate, more gentle, more loving to myself vs beating myself up?? Thanks to facilitating this ScreamFree Series, for the last 5 wks and some spiritual work I have been doing, I believe I was more accepting of myself than I have ever have been in my 41 years. Hallelujah!! Making progress, slowly, but surely.....
Smoochies :-)

From: The ScreamFree Institute <info@screamfree.com>
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 10:00:22 -0500 (CDT)
To: <andreaparentcoach@gmail.com>
ReplyTo: The ScreamFree Institute <info@screamfree.com>
Subject: Relax, Don't Do It

  ScreamFree Tip of the Day  

Share with a Friend

Tip of the Day May 13, 2013

The Quote

"The quickest way for a parent to get a child’s attention is to sit down and look comfortable."

-Lane Olinghouse, Humor writer

 

ScreamFree's Take

hal totd

You know this one is true. I’m convinced that the small sigh of relief I release into the air as I settle into the couch with a magazine is like a powerful dog whistle to my children. Why is this? Maybe it’s because they are used to being the center of attention. Or maybe they are so accustomed to hearing our voices tell them what to do that they don’t know how to handle silence.

In any event, don’t let this stop you from relaxing on a regular basis. It’s important for you to do and it’s important for them to see you doing it. And when they do come running with a Lego emergency or a laundry disaster, it is perfectly ok to tell them that you are not available at the moment. If you jump up every time this happens, they will come to expect that from you more and more. Remember. You are the adult. They are the child. Always. Now, go take a load off, will you?

-Hal Runkel, LMFT, Author of ScreamFree Parenting & ScreamFree Marriage

 

ScreamFree Coaching
 

© The ScreamFree Institute Inc.
The ScreamFree Institute Inc., 45 Technology Parkway South,
Suite 240, Norcross, GA 30092. 678-672-6410

www.screamfree.com

Unsubscribe |  Forward to a Friend |  Homepage
Connect With Us

 

No comments:

Post a Comment