Sunday, February 15, 2015

Are You a Helicopter Parent? Wendy Mogel

Hi Class,
I mentioned Wendy Mogul last session and her empowering approach to raising kids in her two books, "The Blessing of the Skinned Knee," and "The Blessing of a B minus." Here's a short 5 min clip that is so in line with Love and Logic and Montessori, particularly in having our kids learn consequences now, when price tag low, vs waiting until college to gain life experience and confidence. Interesting about the teacup and crispy fried labels....and how a lot of us are raising 'handicapped royalty.' I know I am guilty, sometimes, of doing too much for my son. As Wendy says, I need to pretend I have 6 kids! Gosh she just cracks me up with her sayings ~ another good one : 'Good parents Gone Bad.' Love to hear your thoughts after watching. I have a couple other Wendy Mogel videos I can forward if you enjoy this one. 

As far as L&L session 3, scheduled for this Weds am, which is on the "uh oh song," plus removing the offending object, please let me know who can make it. I may need to reschedule if I not enough parents can attend. I know Luisana cannot attend because she is away at the beach ~ lucky lady!!! 

Also love an update on how giving effective two choices is going....any reduction in power struggles? Or any progress using your empathetic statement? Anyone had a chance to pop in one of the L&L CD's? Just listening for a couple mins can give you some immediate tips and/or make you laugh, and produce a calming effect, particularly before your pick your kids up or when they get home from school. 

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/24Rdy3-pj-Y

Keep practicing, making mistakes, progress and learning:)
Andrea 

Andrea L Gooldy
Parent Educator and Coach
404-932-9393 

No comments:

Post a Comment