Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Daily Parenting Reflection: Give Yourself a Time-Out

Hey Mom's & Dad's!!!
How do you refuel?? Reading, gardening, working out, meeting w/a friend, watching your fav show, being out in nature, meditating, etc.? Love to hear what you do to take a time-out to recharge....as Screamfree parenting teaches we must practice putting our "Oxygen Mask on First" to be the best person & parent we can be. Why is self-care so challenging in our culture esp for us women?? It certainly does not come naturally to me. Instead easiest for me to do, do & do for others, then become totally exhausted, cranky, resentful & no fun to be around. Plus my son seems to model my crankiness too and my hubby!! I'm starting to say No to others & my blackberry. And finally Yes to me & my priorities. I fall off the self-care wagon often; however, I'm happy to just be in the self-care game finally! Check out the below daily reflection from an amazing counselor and author, Heather Forbes. Today just do one thing that refuels you even if just a 15min walk, a Starbucks coffee or phone call w/a cherished friend. I just worked out for my refueling.
Andrea

Andrea L Gooldy, M.S.
Counselor
Parent Coach & Workshop Facilitator
Independent Love and Logic Facilitator 'Early Childhood Parenting Made Fun!'
Certified Screamfree Parenting Leader
AndreaParentCoach@gmail.com
404-932-9393
Check out the latest on my Blog!
www.andreaparentcoach.blogspot.com

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

From: Heather T Forbes LCSW
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 10:54:36 -0400 (EDT)
To:
Subject: Heather's Daily Reflection


You can only expect your child to be as regulated as you are. If you are dysregulated, take a time-out for yourself. Give yourself time to refuel when you become emotionally, physically, and spiritually overwhelmed.


Press on Andrea,

Heather T. Forbes, L.C.S.W.
author of:
Beyond Consequences, Logic, and Control, Volumes 1 and 2
Dare to Love

www.beyondconsequences.com

No comments:

Post a Comment