Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Love and Logic Dates for Wknd Series @ the Concourse beg Sun March 17th

Hi Class,
Great to meet you all last Friday morning, and to have a graduate, Lauren, back in our class for a L & L refresher:) Have you been able to go brain dead then use an empathetic statement to neutralize whining or arguing?? Or at least thought about it as an option, even if it's after the situation has passed? Any success using your new empathetic statement? This evening when it was time for my 6 year old son's shower, which happens to be Very Low on his priority list as hygiene is not even on his radar yet (which is common for boys this age!!), he was stalling the process by sitting on the stairs and saying " I don't want to take a shower", I replied "I know, I know you don't like having to shower." Usually this works to absorb some of his feelings; however, this time he shot back in a taunting way "I know, I know." Hmm, that was interesting ~ I took a deep breath, and said nothing ~ I guess I probably went brain dead at that point. Again, before all my parenting class facilitator training, I definitely would have reacted not so calmly. And I still don't always respond in a calm manner ~ I still lose it, but thankfully not as often. In retrospect, I also could have said "I Love you too much to argue" ; however, I could tell my son was in a mood where best to say less or say nothing. So, I just walked up the stairs ahead of him and he slowly followed, saying "I am so tired, I just want to go nite nite." At that point, I just said "do you want to shower in your bathroom or mommy's?" He showered in our bathroom and everything was fine as he enjoys the shower, once he finally gets in!!

Some of you were interested in other upcoming series which would allow for your spouse to attend as well. As I mentioned, best if you can attend class together as it can be good quality couple time where learning together, without the kids!!! Here are the upcoming dates:

Sundays, March 17th - April 28th
Time : 2 to 4 pm
Where : CONCOURSE ATHLETIC CLUB 8 Concourse Parkway
Atlanta, Georgia  30328
Cost  :  $120 for course including Love and Logic workbook
» Discounted rate of $100 for
Concourse Members «

** Child care available at special rate of $5/hr per child **

Sunday 3/17 Session 1
Sunday 3/24 Session 2
* Skip Sun 3/31st & Sun 4/07 *
Sunday 4/14 Session 3
Sunday 4/21 Session 4
Sunday 4/28 Session 5

Love to hear how everyone is doing. I put everyone's email address on here so that you can reply back to all if wanting a group e-discussion, in order to share struggles, successes, questions, resources, etc.

Talk to you soon ~
Andrea

"Save your words for Happy times. The only time to Reason with a child is when he is happy and you are Happy."
Jim Fay in Avoiding Power Struggles with your Children Cd

No comments:

Post a Comment