Tuesday, March 2, 2010

ScreamFree Parenting Tip of the Day: Kids are natural Mimics

Here's your daily Screamfree tip!! The quote below cracks me up! Ok, beware, I'm long winded so when in doubt, I add more detail!! Yep our kiddies mimic our good stuff too when we show'em....since my son is still so young at 3 1/2, per my Love and Logic parenting training, I talk out loud about what positive stuff I'm doing as well as the chores that I may not want to do but do anyways & how good it feels once I've completed. For instance, holding the door open for others such as disabled or older people or healthy young ones just to be sweet, picking up random trash around our street or wherever we are that isn't ours - I try to sing "give a hoot, don't pollute" to make it fun. I try to apologize to my hubby IN front of Christopher so he's gets to witness it's ok to say you're sorry - and I say sorry to Christopher when I lose it or I'm just plain Cranky. As well as compliment daddy or show affection while our son is watching. My son's face lights one when he sees us hug or kiss!! It's priceless. My recent chore / rule that I say out loud is "aww, mommy forgot to put on her seatbelt again but I'm putting in on to stay safe...". As for working hard & not giving up, I've been sharing with him when I get frustrated or want to quit but I know if I keep trying usually I can figure it out. Christopher has a fire truck that has a long hose on it that is so annoying/challenging to roll up on the holder so he can't do it himself. Needless say he always asks me to do it. I swear it takes me 3 or 4 attempts of rolling it...it slipping off, etc. So I tell him that I want to quit...but I know I can do it if I keep trying, maybe roll it looser or tighter...
So these examples are prob too for some of your kids; however, hopefully they're relevant anyways. Pls add to or share comments. And by All means, pass onto to whomever will read / be responsive!

***************************************************************************

February 11, 2010 | Here's your daily "pick me up" from ScreamFree Tip of the Day:
"Children are natural mimics; they act like their parents in spite of every effort to teach them good manners."
-Author unknown

Hal's Take: Kids are more absorbent than we’ll ever know, even thought it seems like just the opposite is true. They watch us with eyes and hearts that simply do not forget. The things that we try to teach them are well and good. It is important that we teach them how to write a thank you note or how to be a good friend. What we must realize is that those intentional lessons can only go so far. It is the unintentional lessons that we teach which our children will remember forever.
Think of it this way: How do you want your child’s romantic relationships to look? How strong do you want their work ethic to be? How generous do you want them to be with those less fortunate? Instead of telling them how to do all of these things, focus on the way that you do them right now. That way, when your kids are grown and they find themselves sounding just like their mother or father, they will be proud to do
-Hal Runkel, LMFT, author of ScreamFree Parenting


© The ScreamFree Institute Inc. 2180 Satellite Blvd., Suite 400, Duluth, GA 30097 www.screamfree.com
Unsubscribe | Forward to a Friend | Homepage Connect With Us

No comments:

Post a Comment