Sunday, April 28, 2013

Weekly tip - When to apologize and when to show empathy?


From: Tali Peleg <talipeleg2@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 09:40:41 -0400
To: <Andreaparentcoach@gmail.com>
Subject: Weekly tip - When to apologize and when to show empathy?

There are parents that believe that apologizing to their children reflects weakness or damages parental authority.

In reality, it is an important example to the children, so they know how to apologize when they hurt someone.

When we speak in a hurtful manor to our children, it's important to apologize:

* I apologize I yelled at you over the phone. I had a very stressful day and shouldn't have taken it out on you.

* I apologize for claiming you lied. I should have checked the facts first.

Apologizing strengthens that "imperfect parent" image, and it teaches that after we make a mistake, we need to ask for forgiveness. 

When a child experienced an unpleasant situation, we can show empathy:

* I'm sorry to hear they didn't let you play basketball with them during recess.

* I'm sorry to hear the teacher you liked so much left.

It's important that we show true empathy, and that the child understands and feels that we're "with" him. However, we must avoid pitying the child. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment